The innovation and industry development exemption framework allows access to equipment banned under the Radiocommunications Act 1992.
This can include research and development activities, and manufacturing of banned equipment.
The Radiocommunications (Exemption) Determination 2021 is the legal basis for the framework. It sets out what an exempt person can and cannot do. To access banned equipment, or for an exemption, you must apply to us to make a ‘notifiable instrument’. This is basically like a permit.
Notifiable instruments in force are listed in the table below.
Apply to access the framework
To access the framework, you need to apply for a notifiable instrument.
1. Read the Innovation and industry development exemption framework – Information for applicants document
- helps you prepare applications to access banned equipment
- gives information about the assessment process
- provides details about our administration of the framework. This includes compliance, information sharing and engaging with stakeholders.
2. Complete Form R501 Innovation and industry development exemption framework – application for notifiable instrument
To apply, please:
- fill out the application form
- attach the relevant evidence and supporting information
- email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions, please email us at email@example.com.
Those who are exempt under the framework are shown in the table below.