Skip to main content

Amateur apparatus licence

An amateur apparatus licence is for hobby radio and technical experimentation. You must be qualified to get an amateur licence

What an amateur licence is for

Amateur licences are intended for:

  • hobby radio
  • technical experimentation

You need an amateur licence to communicate on amateur frequencies. You can do this in many ways, including Morse code and data.

You must be qualified to apply for an amateur licence. 

The Radiocommunications Licence Conditions (Amateur Licence) Determination 2015 defines amateur licences.

About amateur licences

There are 5 amateur apparatus licences.

They are:


You can operate on any amateur frequency band in Australia.


You can only use these frequency bands: 3.5, 7, 14, 21, 28, 52, 144, 430, 1240, 2400 and 5650 MHz.


You can only use these frequency bands: 3.5, 7, 21, 28, 144 and 430 MHz.


You can operate a station that repeats transmissions from other amateur stations. This is usually to increase coverage.

Repeater licences may use:

  • 1 frequency, where you receive and transmit on the same frequency
  • 2 frequencies, where you receive on 1 frequency and transmit on another

Repeater licences are assigned licences.

We may not give a repeater licence for various reasons. If we don't approve your application, you may ask us to review our decision


You can experiment with radio waves, and their relationship to natural elements.

Beacon licences are assigned licences.

Licence conditions

When you have an amateur licence, you must follow the conditions of your licence.

These include:

These conditions help you communicate safely and without interference.

We will include information you should be aware of under the heading 'advisory notes'.

Call signs

Call signs are a unique series of letters and numbers. They make it easy to identify a station.

The Australian Maritime College (AMC) issues call signs for amateur licences.

Your licence will show your call sign. 

You should use your call sign:

  • every time you start to transmit
  • before you transmit in a series
  • when you test


We charge fees for apparatus licences.

In some circumstances, you can apply for a licence fee exemption or concession.

Apply for an amateur apparatus licence

To apply for an amateur assigned licence, you should contact an accredited person.

They can:

  • assign you a frequency
  • give you a frequency assignment certificate
  • apply for your licence for you

To apply for an amateur non-assigned licence, you should:

Transfer an amateur apparatus licence

You can apply to:

Get more information

To ask questions about amateur apparatus licences, you can email us.

Or, see technical details for amateur apparatus licences.

Back to top