Transfer or trade your licence
You may be allowed to transfer or trade your licence.
Traded means you sell your licence to someone else. Transferred means you give your licence to someone else.
Spectrum licences are usually traded.
Apparatus licences can also be traded. But they are usually transferred because:
- they have a shorter licence period
- we cannot guarantee we will renew them
- they usually have a yearly licence fee
You must first get approval from us before you can transfer your apparatus licence.
Rules to transfer an apparatus licence
The rules to transfer an apparatus licence are detailed in:
- Section 131 of Radiocommunications Act 1992
- the Limitation of Authorisation of Third Party Users and Transfer of Apparatus Licences Determination 2015
There are special rules for transferring a broadcasting licence.
Who you can transfer your licence to
You can only transfer your licence to a:
- incorporated company
and they must:
- have the right certifications
- follow the rules in your licence
- operate equipment at the location printed on the licence
- be exempt from licence fees if you are exempt
- be eligible for a concession if you are eligible
They may be able to apply to change the licence conditions.
We may allow or not allow the transfer.
How we make our decision
When we consider if we will approve a licence transfer, we look at:
- how the new person plans to use radio devices under the licence
- if they've had a licence cancelled in the past 2 years
- if the transfer will affect other radio services
- other relevant information
We make decisions on an individual basis.
What happens if we refuse the transfer
If we plan to refuse the transfer, we will write to you and the person you want to transfer it to.
You will both have time to give us more information that could improve your application.
If we still decide to refuse the transfer, we will write to you and tell you why.
You can appeal the decision.
Apply to transfer your apparatus licence
The transfer form must be signed by:
- the person you are transferring to
You will need to pay a transfer charge.
If we allow the transfer, the licence will be valid until the original licence was due to expire. This is unless we cancel or suspend it.
Apply to change the licence conditions
If the person you want to transfer the licence to wants different licence conditions, you might be able to:
- apply to change the licence conditions before you transfer the licence
- transfer the licence and let the new person apply to change the licence conditions
This is a separate process with a separate fee.
We may not approve the changes.
Apply to change the licence conditions.
Apparatus licences of deceased persons
If you are an authorised representative of a deceased apparatus licensee and wish to transfer a licence, you should complete an Application for the transfer of the licence form and return it to us along with copies of the following documents:
- the death certificate relating to the deceased licensee
- the grant of probate (or equivalent) in respect of the deceased licensee’s estate
- the will, or relevant extract of the will, if any, of the deceased licensee
We will review the application and associated documents and advise you whether the transfer has been approved.