Which services are illegal?
Some online gambling services look like they’re legal in Australia and some even target Australian players.
You might be able to access them, but they will not give you the same customer protection as a licensed service.
Illegal online services include:
- slots (pokies)
- casino-style games (like poker, blackjack and roulette)
- in-play betting on sporting events.
The risks of using illegal gambling providers
If you use an illegal service, Australian regulators will not be able to help you if:
- you believe the service provider has treated you or another player poorly
- the service provider withholds your winnings
The risks are high. Here are some real-life examples that customers have complained to us about:
- Illegal operators let you deposit money into your account on their website or app, but if you win you can’t access your winnings.
- The illegal operator closes its services, or moves them elsewhere, and your money disappears.
- After you stop using an illegal operator, it continues to withdraw funds from your bank account, without your permission.
Unfortunately, you are unlikely to see your money again in these situations.
There is also a risk that these websites will be blocked. This means you may not be able to log in and access your existing account.
How to make a complaint
Make a complaint if you think a website offers illegal gambling services. You do not have to give us your name.
If you have problems recovering money from an overseas gambling website, your options are to:
- seek independent legal advice
- complain to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission
- contact the relevant licensing authority
You can also tell us why you think a website shouldn’t be blocked (you don’t have to give us any personal details).
And remember …
If gambling is affecting your life, you can get help at