Renew your licence
12 months before your licence is due to expire we will remind you to renew it.
The renewal process may take up to 12 months.
We look at the same factors we used to allocate the licence.
Apply to renew your licence
When we receive your renewal form, we may:
- review whether you have met the Broadcasting Services Act 1992
- check you have followed the rules of your licence and the codes of practice
- ask you to explain your answers
- check if the community interest is the same
The Broadcasting Service Act 1992 (Part 6) gives us the right to renew licences.
Change your community interest
A licence holder must represent the community interest.
When you renew a community radio licence, we look at how you are meeting the interests of that community. You may apply to change the community interest you represent at licence renewal.
You need to give us details of:
- how the service will meet the new needs of the community in the licence area
- any research or evidence that shows how the community has changed, or will change, over time
- how you will represent the community interest that has changed
- letters or evidence that show your members and the community support the change
Add this to section 2 of form B66 – Application for renewal of a community radio broadcasting licence (in the broadcasting services bands)
Transfer your licence
Some of the reasons you may want or need to transfer a licence include:
- You want to merge with another company or council and will lose your original legal status.
- Your legal entity changes, for example from a cooperative to an incorporated association.
- You do not have the money to continue broadcasting and want to hand over the licence to someone else.
- You may have to stop broadcasting, for example because you expect to be deregistered.
We will only approve it if the company you want us to transfer the licence to:
- would be eligible for a licence in the first place
- represents a community interest
Apply to transfer your licence
Complete the relevant form:
- Application to transfer community broadcasting licence
- Application to transfer a community broadcasting licence by a remote Indigenous community service
After the transfer is complete
If we approve the transfer, the new licence holder must tell us once the transfer takes place.
The Broadcasting Services Act 1992 gives us the authority to renew and transfer licences.