As a commercial or national broadcaster of free-to-air TV, you must caption all:
- programs on your main channels from 6am to midnight
- news and current affairs programs you show at any time
- programs you repeat on your main channel or multi-channel if the initial broadcast had captions
When you do not have to provide captions
You do not have to provide captions for:
- programs in languages other than English
- programs that consist only of music
- catch-up TV programs
Applications to be exempt or have a reduced target must be granted before you fail to meet your captioning obligations.
Records you must keep
You must keep records about your compliance. These records must meet basic requirements.
Keep written records for 90 days after you submit your report to us.
Keep audiovisual records for:
- 30 days following the broadcast
- 90 days if someone complains about your captions
If you fail to meet your captioning obligations, you can explain the circumstances in your annual compliance report.