As a commercial or national broadcaster of free-to-air TV, you must caption all:
- programs on your main channels from 6am to midnight
- news and current affairs programs you show at any time
- programs you repeat on your main channel or multi-channel if the initial broadcast had captions
When you do not have to provide captions
You do not have to provide captions for:
- programs in languages other than English
- programs that consist only of music
- catch-up TV programs
Applications to be exempt or have a reduced target must be granted before you fail to meet your captioning obligations.
Records you must keep
You must keep records about your compliance. These records must meet basic requirements.
Keep written records for 90 days after you submit your report to us.
Keep audiovisual records for:
- 30 days following the broadcast
- 90 days if someone complains about your captions
If you fail to meet your captioning obligations, you can explain the circumstances in your annual compliance report.
Format of records
We have approved the following format of captioning records under section 130ZZD of the Broadcasting Services Act 1992.
A commercial TV broadcasting licensee, a national broadcaster or a subscription TV licensee that is a body corporate (a responsible person) may make and retain the following records in a variety of forms:
- written records sufficient to enable a responsible person’s compliance with Division 2 (captioning obligations of commercial television broadcasting licensees and national broadcasters) or Division 3 (captioning obligations of subscription television licensees) of Part 9D of the Act to be readily ascertained
- audio visual records sufficient to enable a responsible person’s compliance with Division 4 (caption standards) and Division 5 (emergency warnings) of Part 9D of the Act to be readily ascertained
If we request any records retained by a responsible person under section 130ZZD of the Act (whether or not the minimum period for retaining the records has passed), the responsible person must make available the records in a readily ascertainable format.
If you have any queries or need further information about record keeping and the form of compliance records for captioning, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.