Skip to main content

Keep or transfer your phone number

You can usually keep your phone number when you change telcos. You can also ask to transfer your number to someone else.

Taking your number to another telco is called ‘porting’.

Numbers you can port

You can usually port a:

  • local number (starting with 02, 03, 07 and 08)
  • mobile number (starting with 04), including a pre-paid service 
  • freephone (1800) or local rate (13 and 1300) number, called an 'inbound service'

You might be able to port an out-of-area number. For example, if you are moving to Sydney but want to keep your Melbourne number which starts with 03. Check with your new telco first. They might not provide an out-of-area service.

You can port a suspended number. You will still have to meet any contract obligations you have with the telco that suspended your number.

You cannot port a disconnected number. If a telco disconnects your service, you no longer have rights to the number.

Port your number with the NBN

Telcos must follow the rules that help you keep your local phone number when they move your service to the national broadband network (NBN).

Telcos must let you know if you can keep your number before you enter a contract to move your service to the NBN.

How to port your number

Your telco must port your number to another telco if you ask them to. But a telco does not have to accept a ported number.

Before you choose a new telco, check whether they will accept a ported number.

You do not need a new phone to port your number. Usually for a mobile number you need a new SIM card.

To port your number, ask your new telco. They should contact your current telco to start the port.

Your new telco must also verify that you have requested the port. No port can proceed without the telco undertaking additional identity checks.

It usually takes 3 hours to port a mobile number. Landline numbers can take longer.

Your new telco should tell you when the port is complete.

Fees for porting your number

Your previous telco might charge you a fee for porting your number to a new telco.

You must pay any final bills that your previous telco issues you.

If you think a telco charged you unreasonably, you can complain to the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman

Transfer your number to someone else

You can ask your telco to transfer your number to someone else.

Your telco might be able to transfer the number, but they do not have to.

If your telco goes out of business

If your telco goes out of business, you need to port your number to another telco.

If your telco disconnected your service, you need to have your telco reissue your number to you first.

Problems with porting your number

If you have a problem with porting your number, complain to your telco first.

If you cannot resolve your issue, contact the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman.

Back to top