What it means to issue an FAC
When you issue an FAC, you certify that a device:
- can operate at a particular site and within a particular area
- meets the technical standards it needs to operate on the frequency
- meets the conditions under the Radiocommunications (Conditions of Frequency Assignment Certificates – Apparatus Licences) Determination 2021.
Submit an FAC with your client's licence application.
Rules to issue an FAC
The rules to issue FACs are in the Radiocommunications (Conditions of Frequency Assignment Certificates – Apparatus Licences) Determination 2021.
When issuing FACs, you can either follow ACMA procedural documents or devise (and record) your own interference management criteria.
ACMA procedural documents are:
- policy information papers (PIPs)
- radiocommunications assignment and licensing instructions (RALIs)
- business operating procedures (BOPs)
- frequency assignment practices.
You should use current spectrum access data when you assign a frequency.
We update the Register of Radiocommunications Licences daily. This will help you work with the latest data.
If you have devised your own interference management criteria, you must give us a statement when you issue the FAC.
The statement must set out the:
- criteria you used for interference management
- method to meet the coordination criteria.
Submit an FAC
You can submit an FAC:
- via the online portal
- in paper format.
When you submit via the online portal
You can lodge an FAC via the online portal.
It will automatically create spectrum accesses in the spectrum management database.
This could be for a:
- new apparatus licence application
- request to vary apparatus licence conditions.
The portal is the most cost effective way to lodge an FAC.
This is because:
- you manage the frequency assignment
- we don't need to add the data.
The apparatus licence fee schedule details the charges to submit an FAC.
We will verify the details of the new site. But we don't usually question the information on an FAC. We conduct audits of accredited persons to check their quality of work.
When you send it in paper format
- enter the details of the FAC into the spectrum management database
- issue the licence.
Because you manage the frequency assignment, we will reduce the administrative part of the licence fee.
If you wish to submit a paper FAC, you must arrange it with us before you send it. You can email us.
We manage international coordination.
We charge on a cost recovery basis. The hourly rate is shown in the apparatus licence fee schedule.
If we need to perform additional work, there will be extra charges.