Skip to main content

Broadcast outside your licence area

Your broadcasting licence says what licence area you can broadcast to. To help customers with poor radio reception, you may apply to broadcast 'out of area'.

Who may apply

You may apply to broadcast or retransmit radio services outside your normal licence area if you are a:

  • commercial licence holder
  • community broadcasting licence holder

The Broadcasting Services Act 1992 (Schedule 2) allows this. 

Listeners with poor radio reception cannot apply. They must contact the broadcast licence holder that provides the service.

To apply to transmit TV out of area, go to retransmit TV channels.

How to apply

How we assess your application

We will tell the licence holder of the 'out of area' broadcast licence about your application. They have 28 days to object to us.

The process takes 8 to 12 weeks to complete.

Back to top