What we consider
Our retransmission policy sets out:
- who can retransmit a radio or television broadcasting service
- how to request permission (where required) and apply for licences
- how we consider whether or not to give permission (where required) and issue licences.
There are costs to you to retransmit TV and radio programs.
If your application is successful you will pay an apparatus licence fee.
You may also have ongoing equipment maintenance costs.
Self-help providers are exempt from copyright obligations under the Copyright Act 1968.
As long as you only retransmit programs from a national, community or commercial station you are not regulated by the Broadcasting Services Act 1992.
How to apply
To apply to retransmit a service:
- Read the ACMA retransmission policy.
- For radio retransmissions, complete form B12 Application for an apparatus licence in the Broadcasting Services Bands.
- For television retransmissions, complete form B84 Application for digital television retransmission apparatus licence(s) in the Broadcasting Services Bands.
- Send your completed form:
By email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or post to:
Australian Communications and Media Authority
PO Box 78
Belconnen ACT 2616
How to set up TV retransmission
Follow these steps to retransmit TV channels into your area:
Step 1: apply to us for an apparatus licence
Step 2: install a transmission tower
You need the correct permissions to build or install a transmission tower. Contact your local council.
Step 3: access TV programs
You may access TV programs to retransmit via your own antenna from the Viewer Access Satellite Television (VAST) satellite feed. If you need to use VAST and are in central and eastern Australia, contact the Eastern Australia Satellite Broadcasters (EASB). If you are in Western Australia, contact WA Satco.
Your decoding equipment attached to your transmission tower will receive signal from the VAST satellite feed. VAST can change its settings and your equipment may not retune itself. You will then need to retune or make other adjustments to your equipment.