- The owner(s) of one or more network units nominates a carrier that will then meet any carrier related rules.
- We assess a complete application when the application charge has been paid.
- If we approve the application, we grant a nominated carrier declaration.
Apply for a nominated carrier declaration
A licensed carrier may apply for an NCD over network units owned by another person.
Before you apply, read the Carrier Licensing Guide to understand what you must do.
An application for an NCD can cover becoming the nominated carrier for:
- one network unit belonging to one owner
- one network unit belonging to more than one owner
- more than one network unit belonging to one owner, or
- more than one network unit belonging to more than one owner
We can only declare one carrier to be the nominated carrier in relation to a network unit.
All nominated carrier declarations currently in force are on the public NCD register.
If there is currently a nominated carrier in relation to the network unit for which you are seeking an NCD, the current nominated carrier or the owner of the network unit may need to request revocation of the existing NCD.
The Telecommunications (Charges) Determination 2022 sets the application fee, which is $2,237.
Before submitting your application, please contact email@example.com to obtain an invoice for payment of the NCD application fee.
For an invoice to be raised, the ACMA requires the following information of the applicant:
- ABN/ACN of the applicant
- Postal address
- Registered business address (if different from the postal address)
- Details of the contact person for the purposes of the application (full name, position, telephone and email)
Complete form T034 – Application for a nominated carrier declaration. You will need to:
- pay the non-refundable application fee
- provide consent from the owner or each of the owners of the network units
- include the nominee's confirmation that they accept responsibility for the network units
- describe the network units with help from paragraphs 11 to 16 in the Carrier Licensing Guide
Provide as much detail as possible to help us assess your application. For example:
- any processes you and the owner of the network units have put in place to ensure you meet all the carrier rules
- how the owner will co-operate and obey lawful directions by you to enable you to comply with all the carrier rules
Applicants should refer to the checklist in form T034 to ensure their application is complete prior to submitting it to the ACMA.
Please submit your application to the ACMA by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
We may ask for more information.
We may declare the applicant to be the nominated carrier if we decide that:
- the nominated carrier can meet the rules to operate network units
- the declaration would not affect the efficient administration ofthe Act (section 81)
If we make the declaration, we will:
- give a copy to the applicant and each owner of the network units
- publish the declaration in the Gazette
- add details to the Register of licensed carriers and NCDs
If we refuse the application, we will write to tell the applicant and the owner(s) of the network units.
When we revoke a nominated carrier declaration
We must revoke a nominated carrier declaration if:
- any owner(s) of the network units tells us in writing that they do not agree to the declaration being in place
- the nominated carrier tells us in writing that it does not accept responsibility for the network units
We may also revoke a declaration if we believe that the ACMA would now refuse to make the NCD if it were assumed the nominated carrier were to apply for it.
In this case, we write to the nominated carrier and propose to revoke the declaration. The nominated carrier may respond to us within a specified period of at least 7 days.
If we decide to revoke a declaration, we will notify the:
- former nominated carrier
- owner(s) of the network units concerned
We also publish a notice in the Gazette.