VAST is funded by the Australian Government. It gives people who may not be able to receive ‘regular’ TV services access to free-to-air TV or radio services by satellite.
We do not grant access to VAST. We register rules that broadcasters must follow to decide who gets access to VAST. We also examine any formal complaints against the company that administers and operates VAST.
You can access channels on VAST for free if you:
Check if you can get free-to-air satellite TV
Getting VAST at home
If you live in an area with unreliable free-to-air TV coverage, go to the mySwitch website, type in your address and select ‘Satellite Summary VAST’. Follow the steps to apply.
Getting VAST as you travel
If you want VAST because you’ll be travelling through an area with unreliable free-to-air TV coverage, go to VAST administrator’s website at mysattv and follow the ‘Traveller’s Registration’ steps.
Complaints about your VAST application
We can look into your complaint about applying for satellite TV if the VAST administrator:
- refused your application
- approved your access to VAST but later took away approval, or
- failed to decide on your application within 15 business days.
If you decide to complain, please provide us with as much of the following information as possible:
- your name and contact information (email, telephone and postal mail)
- the address at which VAST services were requested. If a street address is not available, please provide the latitude and longitude
- the date on which you made an application for VAST services, via the online form at mySwitch
- a copy of your application, if available
- the kind of reception equipment you own (for example, external antenna or satellite dish)
- what your complaint is about
- any correspondence between you and the scheme administrator, if available.
You can make a complaint by:
- email at email@example.com and typing 'Satellite TV complaint' in the email subject field
- post at:
Satellite TV Complaint
Australian Communications and Media Authority
PO Box 78
Belconnen ACT 2616
- fax on (02) 6219 5347
- provide the VAST administrator with details of your complaint
- collect evidence from the VAST administrator
- ask you for more information.