We develop these resources for:
- planning consultants
- providers of transmission infrastructure
- others in the broadcasting industry
The Technical Planning Parameters and Methods for Terrestrial Broadcasting (TPPs) detail the planning and measurement methods, parameter values and planning assumptions we use for planning analog broadcasting services.
The TPPs are based on recommendations and reports of the International Telecommunications Union (ITU), as well as planning practices developed in Australia, North America, Europe and Britain over many years.
Broadcast planning instructions
We create broadcast planning instructions (BPIs) when we want to clarify a planning activity. This could be an existing practice or one we have created or amended.
- BPI 1: Geocentric Datum of Australia (GDA)
- BPI 2: Treatment of mixed polarised FM services in broadcast planning
- BPI 3: Planning of Open Narrowcasting Services
- BPI 4: Specification of antenna radiation patterns in the planning and licensing databases
- BPI 5: Day-Night switching of transmission power and full time power increase for AM radio broadcasting services
- BPI 7: Antenna directivity and cross polarisation discrimination
- BPI 8: Use of vertical or horizontal polarisation by FM broadcasting services
- BPI 9: Continuous and tropospheric interference in analog planning
- BPI 10: Interference considerations for terrestrial off-air inputs used for retransmission of radio and television broadcasting services
- BPI 11: Fortuitous reception of radio and television broadcasting services
- BPI 12: Planning in-fill services for MF-AM radio broadcasting services
Note: BPI 6 has been omitted as it is no longer relevant.