Skip to main content

Beware of two-way radios from overseas

Be careful what two-way radio you buy, especially from overseas.

Radios that do not comply with our rules might block critical services, such as the emergency call service.

Report a product if you think it is unsafe.

Before you buy a radio

By law, suppliers must make sure their radios comply with our rules in the:

If you use a radio that breaks our rules, we may hold you responsible.

Before you buy a radio, ask yourself:

  • Does the radio have a label with the Regulatory Compliance Mark (RCM)?  The RCM shows that a product is safe to supply to the Australian market.
  • Can you trust the supplier? Check reviews from other customers. Check whether the supplier is on the national database. If they are, it shows they have followed our rules.
  • Where is the supplier? If the supplier is overseas, it is likely the radio does not use the right frequency for Australia.
  • Is the deal too good to be true? If the radio is far cheaper than other brands, it might be a sign the supplier has not tested the radio to our technical standards.
  • Does the radio comply with Australian rules? Ask the supplier. Be wary if they do not answer you.

Consider all your options before buying a radio.

Renting a radio can be quick and easy. Rental companies make sure their radios comply with our rules.

A citizens band (CB) radio is an alternative to a two-way radio. Anyone in Australia can use a CB radio that complies with Australian rules. (It might not suit you if you want commercial or private frequencies.)

You can download our infographic about how to spot a dodgy device.

If you break our rules

Your radio might seem to work well. 

But if it does not comply with our rules, you might be blocking critical services, such as the emergency call service.

We may hold you responsible for causing interference. The maximum penalties are:

  • fines of up to $25,200
  • up to two years in prison
Back to top