Know the rules to follow
TV or radio ads about alcohol cannot target children. They also should not be irresponsible in targeting adults.
The alcohol advertising rules are in the:
Alcohol ads on TV
As a TV broadcaster, you can show alcohol ads on commercial TV and SBS TV between:
- 12 pm and 3 pm on school days
- 8:30 pm and 5 am on any day.
You can show alcohol ads during sports programs on public holidays and weekends starting from 6 pm Friday.
Alcohol ads cannot be broadcast:
- on commercial TV in children's (C) or preschool (P) classified programs at any time
- in the breaks immediately before or after C or P classified programs
- on a dedicated subscription children's channel.
Time limits on TV ads
You can broadcast alcohol ads on TV within the total time limits for ads.
See the commercial and SBS TV codes of practice for details.