Know the rules to follow
TV or radio ads about alcohol cannot target children. They also should not be irresponsible in targeting adults.
The alcohol advertising rules are in the:
Alcohol ads on TV
As a TV broadcaster, you can show alcohol ads on commercial TV and SBS TV between:
- 12pm and 3pm on school days
- 8.30pm and 5am on any day
You can show alcohol ads during sports programs on public holidays and weekends, from 6pm Friday.
You cannot broadcast alcohol ads:
- on commercial TV in Children's (C) or Pre-school (P) classified programs at any time
- in the breaks immediately before or after C or P classified programs
- on a dedicated subscription children's channel
Alcohol ads on radio
There are no rules about when alcohol ads can be on radio.
Check the ABAC Responsible Alcohol Marketing Code. The code does have rules about alcohol ads on programs aimed at minors.