- 1Consultation opened01 May 2023
- 2Consultation closed01 Jun 2023
- 3Outcome and submissions published19 Jul 2023
On 13 July 2023, we made the Radiocommunications Licence Conditions (Amateur Licence) Omnibus Amendment Instrument 2023 (No.1). The proposed changes to amateur access in the 50–52 MHz band and 3.4–3.6 GHz band took effect on 14 July.
We received 6 submissions to the consultation, including one made on a confidential basis. You can access the public submissions below.
Previous consultation: The issue
In September 2022, we consulted on proposed amateur class licensing arrangements and higher power operation. We proposed changes to the draft amateur class licence to provide access to the 50–52 MHz frequency band for:
- Standard amateur licensees
- overseas visiting amateurs with equivalent qualifications (overseas equivalents).
With the draft amateur class licence, we also wanted to remove access from Advanced amateur licensees and their overseas equivalents in the 3.4–3.6 GHz frequency band. This included areas re-allocated for spectrum licensing under the Radiocommunications (Spectrum Re‑allocation – 3.4 GHz and 3.7 GHz Bands) Declaration 2022 for Advanced amateur licensees and overseas equivalents.
The 3.4–3.6 GHz frequency band has also been identified for possible long-term earth station protection zones. This is set out in frequency coordination procedures for the earth station protection zones (RALI MS44).
We are now proposing to make these changes to the:
- Radiocommunications Licence Conditions (Amateur Licence) Determination 2015
- Radiocommunications (Overseas Amateurs Visiting Australia) Class Licence 2015.
The updates are outlined in the Draft Radiocommunications Licence Conditions (Amateur Licence) Omnibus Amendment Instrument 2023 (No. 1). You can find this in the key documents section.
The written notice of variation to the Overseas Class Licence has been published in the Government Notices Gazette.
On 9 May 2023, the following corrections were made to the Draft Radiocommunications Licence Conditions (Amateur Licence) Omnibus Amendment Instrument 2023 (No.1):
- On page 3, a reference to ‘Schedule 5 – Excluded frequency band and area (amateur standard station)’ was amended to ‘Excluded frequency bands and areas (amateur advanced station)’.
- On page 5, a reference to ‘Schedule 2 – Excluded frequency band and area (amateur station)’ was amended to ‘Excluded frequency bands and areas (amateur advanced station)’.
Please ensure you are using the latest version available in the key documents section of this webpage.