- 1Consultation opens16 Mar 2022
- 2Consultation closes29 Apr 2022
- 3Outcome published07 Sep 2022
- 4Submissions published07 Sep 2022
Previous consultation: Summary
The draft Five-year spectrum outlook 2022–27 (FYSO) provides a broad overview of trends that affect spectrum management and factors used to inform the ACMA's planning and spectrum allocation priorities.
The draft FYSO is a key part of our engagement with industry and the community on our spectrum management priorities.
The draft FYSO includes a detailed annual work program, with activities and milestones for the 2022–23 financial year. The work program is a requirement under section 28E of the Radiocommunications Act 1992.
The draft FYSO’s focus areas show that we are:
- Continuing to implement planning outcomes for mid-band spectrum in the 3.4–4.0 GHz band to support the deployment of 5G services in Australia.
- Gauging interest in the potential uses and support for regulatory arrangements for terahertz spectrum bands (100 GHz to 3 THz), which is the next frontier of lightly used spectrum.
- Raising for discussion whether it is timely to consider the adequacy of existing regulatory arrangements for non-geostationary satellite orbit constellations, noting the strong domestic and global interest in deployments.
- Undertaking a significant program of legislative instrument review, with over 30 radiocommunications instruments due to sunset on 1 April 2023.
We expect to publish the final FYSO 2022–27 in the first quarter of the 2022–23 financial year.
Have your say
We invite feedback on the draft Five-year spectrum outlook 2022–27.
Make a submission
Use the ‘Make a submission’ button at the top of this page to upload your submission.
Submissions by post can be sent to:
Spectrum Licensing Policy Section
Australian Communications and Media Authority
PO Box 13112
Melbourne Vic 8010