Our Trends and developments in viewing and listening report explores the Australian broadcasting and digital media landscape in 2021–22. The report highlights the key developments in how media infrastructure and services are supplied and used. This report is part of our Communications and media in Australia series.
The way Australians watch and listen to media continues to change. More of us watched and listened to content online in 2022 than ever before. However, free-to-air television and radio is still popular.
Key highlights at June 2022:
- 8 in 10 of us watched online videos.
- 7 in 10 of us watched free-to-air TV live or on catch-up services.
- 7 in 10 of us listened to FM radio.
- 6 in 10 of us watched a subscription video-on-demand or pay-per-view service.
- 3 in 10 of us listened to radio via an app or the internet.
- 7 in 10 of us listened to music via a streaming service.
View our associated research: