Our latest Trends and developments in telecommunications report explores changes in the Australian telecommunications sector in 2021–22. The report highlights key developments in how telecommunications are supplied and used. This report is part of our Communications and media in Australia series.
The way Australians use communication services continues to change. As we do more activities online, we’ve become more reliant on both wired and wireless telecommunications.
Key highlights at June 2022:
- Australians downloaded over 11 million terabytes of data in the June 2022 quarter.
- There were 8.5 million active NBN services (up from 8.2 million in 2021).
- NBN connections carried 84% of data downloads in the June 2022 quarter.
- Over half of us used telehealth services.
- There were 32.4 million mobile voice and broadband services in operation in June 2022.
- 5G services covered 80% of the Australian population.
View our associated research: