What a major coast receive licence is for
A major coast receive licence is for 1 or more land stations that receive messages from:
- maritime ship stations
- a station on an aircraft that is not an aircraft station
- land mobile stations
- remote land stations
The receiver cannot transmit messages of any kind.
You don’t need to license a receiver at a maritime coast station unless you want protection from interference.
If you want to transmit messages, you may need a maritime coast licence.
The Radiocommunications (Interpretation) Determination 2015 defines major coast receive licences.
When you have a major coast receive licence, you must follow the conditions of your licence.
- conditions of the Radiocommunications Act 1992 (the Act)
- Licence Condition (Apparatus Licence) Determination 2015
- Licence Conditions (Major Coast Receive Licence) Determination 2015
- other conditions that apply to you under ‘special conditions’
These conditions help you communicate safely and without interference.
We will include information you should be aware of under the heading 'advisory notes'.
Call signs are a unique series of letters and numbers. They make it easy to identify a station.
We will give you a call sign or explain how to create one when we give you a licence.
You should use your call sign:
- every time you start to transmit
- before you transmit in a series
- when you test
Call sign template for major coast receive
Major coast receive call sign template: (example of a typical call sign: VKA714)
first 2 alpha characters: VJ, VK, VL, VM, VN, VZ, or AX. The third character is any alpha
numeric character 2 to 9
numeric character 0 to 9
We charge fees for apparatus licences.
In some circumstances, you can apply for a licence fee exemption or concession.
Apply for a major coast receive licence
To apply for a major coast receive licence you should contact an accredited person.
- assign you a frequency
- give you a frequency assignment certificate
- apply for your licence for you
Transfer a major coast receive licence
You can apply to: