Skip to main content

Aircraft licence

An aircraft licence lets you use radiocommunications equipment that is fixed to an aircraft.

What an aircraft licence is for

You need an aircraft licence to use radiocommunications equipment that is fixed to an aircraft.

This includes planes, helicopters and hobby aircraft such as:

  • ultralights
  • trikes
  • hang gliders
  • paragliders
  • gyrocopters
  • gliders
  • sailplanes and balloons

An aircraft licence is an assigned licence. All equipment must operate on the assigned frequency.

If you don't need an assigned licence, you may be able to use equipment under an aircraft class licence.

The Radiocommunications (Interpretation) Determination 2015 defines aircraft licences.

Frequencies for aircraft licences

Assigned aircraft licences operate on these frequencies:

  • aeronautical
  • aeronautical-mobile satellite

If you don't want to operate on these frequencies, you should consider a different apparatus licence.

We will assign you a frequency that has been recommended by Airservices Australia

Licence conditions

When you have an aircraft licence, you must follow the conditions of your licence.

These include:

These conditions help you communicate safely and without interference.

We will include information you should be aware of under the heading 'advisory notes'.

Airservices Australia and the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) may have other rules you need to follow.

Call signs

Call signs are a unique series of letters and numbers. They make it easy to identify a station.

We will give you a call sign, or you can use a call sign from Airservices Australia or CASA. 

You should use your call sign:

  • every time you start to transmit
  • before you transmit in a series
  • when you test

Aircraft call sign template


Aircraft call sign template (example of a typical call sign: VHABC)


alpha character A to Z that represents an aircraft's registration marking. This should be as per one of the following:


We charge fees for apparatus licences.

In some circumstances, you can apply for a licence fee exemption or concession.

Apply for an aircraft licence

To apply for an assigned aircraft licence you should contact an accredited person.

They can:

  • assign you a frequency
  • give you a frequency assignment certificate
  • apply for your licence for you

Transfer an aircraft licence

You can apply to:

Get technical details

Back to top