We investigate anyone who breaks the rules for online gambling services.
This includes providing or advertising online gambling services that are illegal.
The rules are in the Interactive Gambling Act 2001.
If someone breaks the rules, we may:
- give them a formal notice that they broke the rules
- give them a fine
- refer them to police or the Director of Public Prosecutions
- report the directors and principals of offending companies to Australia's border protection agency. The agency may place them on the Movement Alert List, which can disrupt travel to Australia
- request Internet Service Providers (ISPs) to block access to the illegal online gambling websites in Australia
Anyone who breaks the rules may face criminal charges and fines. This includes anyone who helps someone break the rules. Civil penalties can be up to:
- $1,575,000 for an individual
- $7,900,000 for a body corporate