Application for scientific licences
We will consider applications for scientific licences in the 26 GHz band.
Scientific licence applications will be considered only on the following basis:
- You must be capable of completing a trial of 5G mmWave technology before the intended allocation of the 26 GHz band by spectrum licensing, which may be in Q1 2021.
- The proposed licence duration is up to 12 months, with the opportunity for a short renewal dependent on the timing of any auction.
- You may apply to use part or the whole of the frequency range that may be spectrum licensed, 25.1–27.5 GHz. In the 4 areas adjacent to NBN satellite gateways: Perth, Bunbury, Margaret River and Hobart—applicants may apply to use the 25.1–27.0 GHz range.
- You may apply for scientific licences to support a maximum of 5 trials per applicant in the defined geographic areas for possible spectrum licensing listed in the 26 GHz band decision paper.
- For mainland capital cities, sites may cover up to a maximum of 25% of each city only.
- Each trial may have only a limited number of end users, consistent with the scale and objectives of a scientific trial. The proposed number of end users must be included with the licence application.
- Licences will be issued on a first-in-time basis.
- Successful applicants must inform trial participants of the following:
- the trial is of a limited duration
- there is no guarantee that the service will be available after the conclusion of the trial
- there may be interruptions to their internet service due to trialling new technology
- the charges applicable for the service
- that they may withdraw from participating in the trial at any time
- You must provide us with a copy of the proposed customer information documentation at the time of application.
- Licensees must report to us on a 6-monthly basis on technical and non-technical aspects of the trial, addressing the purpose, parameters and objectives of the trial.
More information on scientific licences.
The guidelines document describes how we deal with scientific licence applications for trials of new radiocommunications technologies.
To submit an application, you may engage the services of an accredited person.