Technological solutions to combating scams
Consultation closes: 10 May 2019
The ACMA’s Scam Technology Project is exploring ways to combat scams on Australian telecommunications networks. The project draws on expertise from fellow regulators, industry and international agencies.
The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) and Australian Cyber Security Centre (ACSC) are represented on a reference group with the ACMA to guide the project.
The ACMA has released a discussion paper to identify technological solutions to combat scams on telecommunications networks.
The ACMA is seeking information on a range of matters, including:
- current and emerging technologies and associated approaches to disrupt scams in Australia
- the applicability of international initiatives to the Australian context
- whether Australian initiatives at a platform, network or provider level can be elevated to ensure industry-wide coverage
- whether industry and government can better share information to help identify and disrupt scams
- any barriers to implementing effective initiatives.
For further details, visit our Scam Technology Project information page.
Issues for comment
The ACMA is seeking detailed, evidence-based submissions from interested parties on the issues and questions raised in the discussion paper.
Submissions are now closed.