The ACMA Standard Telecommunications (Mobile Equipment Air Interface) Technical Standard 2018 (the Mobile Equipment Standard 2018) adopts the following Australian Standards:
AS/CA S042.1:2018 – Requirements for connection to an air interface of a Telecommunications Network – Part 1: General; and
AS/CA S042.4:2018 – Requirements for connection to an air interface of a Telecommunications Network – Part 4: IMT Customer Equipment.
published by Communications Alliance Ltd on 12 April 2018.
The ACMA has made the Mobile Equipment Standard 2018 to repeal and replace the Telecommunications Technical Standard (Requirements for Connection to an Air Interface of a Telecommunications Network - AS/CA S042) 2015 to reflect the latest technical requirements for particular customer equipment.
The Mobile Equipment Standard 2018:
- applies to any item of customer equipment that is designed or intended for use in connection with a public mobile telecommunications service or a satellite service, or both, and is an addressable device;
- adopts the Australia Standards AS/CA S042.1:2018 and AS/CA S042.4:2018 as in force at the times specified in the Mobile Equipment Standard 2018;
- generally requires an item to comply with each adopted industry standard, in relation to the item, as in force at one of the times specified for the item;
- provides an ACMA transition period for any amendment or a replacement of an adopted industry standard;
- includes savings and transitional arrangements for items manufactured, imported or modified before the commencement of the new Standard and related items; and
- does not impose requirements in relation to any GSM item as that kind of customer equipment is no longer supplied in Australia
It is important to note that the applicable mandatory standard is the ACMA standard, not the industry standard to which it refers.
The Mobile Equipment Standard 2018 is available from the Federal Register of Legislation website.
The Explanatory Statement provides more information.
Current and superseded AS/ACIF or AS/CA industry standards are available to download in pdf format from the Communications Alliance website.
The following ACMA Standards have been repealed and remains available on the Federal Register of Legislation website:
- Telecommunications Technical Standard (Requirements for connection to an air interface of a Telecommunications Network - Part 3: GSM Customer Equipment - AS/ACIF S042.3:2005) 2005; and
- Telecommunications Technical Standard (Requirements for Connection to an Air Interface of a Telecommunications Network - AS/CA S042) 2015