Low power base stations or access points that are used to provide voice and data communications, including in homes and business premises may be licensed under the PTS licence type.
Conditions that apply to PTS licence types are set out in the Radiocommunications Licence Conditions (PTS Licence) Determination 1997(the PTS LCD).
Section 5 of the PTS LCD requires a PTS licensee to keep a record of the location, frequency and technical parameters of each station. Section 7 of the PTS LCD provides that a PMTS B licensee must not operate a land station unless the location of the station is specified in the licence or the licensee notifies the ACMA of the location before it first operates it.
Special conditions for deployment of low power indoor stations
The requirements of sections 5 and 7 of the PTS LCD are not practicable for the indoor deployment of low power stations like femtocells or smart repeaters.
PTS licensees can apply to have special conditions imposed on their licences that override the requirements of section 5 and section 7 of the PTS LCD for stations that:
- have an indoor fixed antenna and a radiated true mean power less than or equal to 24 dBm EIRP/occupied bandwidth
- are within a 15 kilometre radius of the location specified for this spectrum access
- use the receive or transmit frequencies and the emission designator specified for the spectrum access.
If sections 5 and 7 of the PTS LCD do not apply to a station because of a condition specified in the licence, the station must be operated:
- in a manner that does not cause harmful interference to licensed radiocommunications devices
- on the basis that the licensee cannot claim protection from harmful interference from licensed radiocommunications devices.
The frequency coordination requirements that apply to the deployment of low power devices in the 2 GHz band are set out in RALI MS 33.
Before applying to have the special conditions attached to its PTS licences, a licensee is required to meets the requirements defined in RALI MS 33 for the relevant spectrum access (and associated licence).