The IPND Code
Industry body responsible
The Communications Alliance Ltd (formerly ACIF)
Section of industry to which code relates
This industry code applies to:
- carriers and
- carriage service providers (CSPs) that act as data providers, data users and the IPND Manager. It also provides information and guidance for other data users (that are not carriers and CSPs) that interact with the IPND Manager, such as directory publishers and researchers authorised under the IPND Scheme.
Date of registration
16 November 2017.
This issue of the code replaces the Industry Code Integrated Public Number Database (IPND) (ACIF C555: 2008).
Objectives of the code
This industry code sets out rights and obligations of data providers, data users and the IPND Manager regarding the access, input, use, disclosure and storage of public number customer data in the IPND.
The objectives of the industry code are to ensure that:
- CSPs capture and record details of the customer’s choice of listed or unlisted entry, or where offered, suppressed address entry;
- CSPs take reasonable steps to provide customers with sufficient information about the use of public number customer data;
- the rights and obligations of participants regarding their input, use, disclosure and storage of public number customer data in the IPND are clear;
- agreed uniform procedures and formats are followed when public number customer data is transferred to the IPND by data providers;
- agreed uniform procedures and formats are followed when public number customer data is transferred from the IPND Manager to data users;
- IPND procedures treat data providers on an equitable basis;
- IPND procedures treat data users in the same approved purpose category on an equitable basis;
- IPND procedures do not detract from customers' reasonable rights with regard privacy of personal information;
- customers have a process by which they can access their public number customer data
- procedures and processes maximise data accuracy and efficiency through the cooperation of all participants; and
- the integrity and confidentiality of the public number customer data that is input to, stored in, used and disclosed from the IPND is adequately protected.
Accessing the code
Last updated: 25 March 2019