The way ahead - Decisions and implementation options for the 400 MHz band
The Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) is notifying stakeholders on the final outcomes of the review of the 400 MHz band and seeking public comment on proposed implementation plans for the radiofrequency spectrum in the range 403-520 MHz (the 400 MHz band). The The way ahead - Decisions and implementation options for the 400 MHz band consultation paper outlines a number of final decisions for the future use of the band and proposed implementation plans.
This discussion paper represents the third public step in the review of the 400 MHz band, which began with the release of the Spectrum Options: 403-520 MHz discussion paper in April 2008, followed by the release of Spectrum Proposals: 403-520 MHz - Proposals for future arrangements in the 400 MHz band in April 2009.
The broad objectives of the review of the 400 MHz band, as detailed by the ACMA in the Spectrum Proposals Paper, are to implement measures to:
- improve the harmonisation of spectrum use by certain government agencies to assist in radiocommunications interoperability objectives and the development of efficient government networks
- improve the allocative, technical and dynamic efficiency with which spectrum in the band is allocated and used, by reviewing the relevant frequency assigning and licensing mechanisms (including band plans, licensing instructions, licensing options and pricing)
- facilitate new technologies and possible complementary uses of the band
- implement arrangements that take advantage of the different spectrum management requirements and challenges between different geographic areas
- minimise the requirement for ongoing ACMA intervention in the band.
Note: Spectrum embargoes 50 and 51 have been updated and Spectrum embargoes 53, 54, 55 and 56 created to support the outcomes of the review of the 400 MHz band and assist in the timely implementation of new arrangements.
Revision: Attachment 6 (UHF Channel Plan) to this discussion paper has been revised to take into account the modification of channel numbering requested by a number of submissions to the discussion paper. This revised attachment can be downloaded and viewed in Word (110 kb) or PDF formats (82 kb).
The public consultation period for the discussion paper The way ahead - Decisions and implementation options for the 400 MHz band closed on 6 June 2010.
The ACMA received 27 non-confidential submissions to the consultation paper, and is currently analysing all submissions. Please direct any questions about this discussion paper to 400MHzreview@acma.gov.au or via telephone to Andrew Stewart on (02) 6219 5238.
The submissions have been provided in Adobe PDF format: