- 1Open for comment09 Mar 2021
- 2Consultation closed09 Apr 2021
We are consulting on the draft Radiocommunications Equipment (General) Rules 2021.
We currently make standards for the performance of radiocommunications devices under the Radiocommunications Act 1992 (the Act).
The Act will be amended by the Radiocommunications Legislation Amendment (Reform and Modernisation) Act 2020 (the Modernisation Act) to modernise the legislative framework for spectrum management. While existing standards and labelling notices will be saved as equipment rules under the new arrangements, some new equipment rules will be necessary to maintain 4 objectives:
- to ensure the application of sanctions for possession, operation or supply of devices that do not comply with mandated standards
- to enable the ACMA to provide permits for the use, possession and supply of non-standard devices
- to ensure the continuation of prohibitions and obligations for labelling equipment that complies with standards
- to maintain existing limitations on the supply of mobile phone repeaters, to ensure that such devices may only be supplied to people licensed to operate them.
Have your say
The ACMA invites your comments on the issues set out in this consultation paper. You can send us your views by selecting the ‘Upload a submission’ button at the top of this page.
Submissions by post can be sent to:
Technical Regulation & Carrier Infrastructure Section
Australian Communications and Media Authority
PO Box 13112 Law Courts
Melbourne VIC 8010
You can email consultation enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We have published a range of consultations and materials related to the Modernisation Act’: