Carrier licensing | ACMA

Carrier licensing

In Australia, the owner of a network unit used to supply carriage services - such as telephony or internet - to the public, must hold a carrier licence.

There is provision for another party to take on the responsibilities of a carrier for a network unit. This legal arrangement is referred to as a nominated carrier declaration.

A person who operates a facility or resells services from a facility is not required to hold a carrier licence. Licensed carriers are required to comply with certain obligations.

The Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) is responsible for monitoring and enforcing compliance with these obligations.


Last updated: 17 December 2012