In-home PLT devices | ACMA

In-home PLT devices

EN50561-1 adopted for supply of in-home PLT devices

The ACMA regulates the supply of in-home powerline telecommunications (PLT) devices. Following a review of the regulatory arrangements for the supply of these devices, the ACMA has now amended the EMC arrangements to adopt the European EMC standard EN50561-1 as an applicable standard for the supply of in-home PLT devices. The adoption of this standard now provides suppliers of in-home PLT devices with a standard that is specific to these devices rather than having to rely on the previous generic IT technical standard. The complete list of EMC standards that can be used to demonstrate compliance with the ACMA EMC arrangements can be found on the EMC standards page.

Interference risks of PLT devices on VDSL2 and G.Fast broadband technologies

While assessing the suitability of the European standard, the ACMA became aware of the potential interference risks caused by in-home PLT devices to broadband services that use VDSL2 and G.Fast technology. VDSL2 and G.Fast are technologies typically used in fibre-to-the-node and fibre-to-the-basement networks.

Laboratory tests indicate that, under certain operating conditions, the performance of broadband services could be degraded by around 50 per cent. The ACMA will continue to work with operators of VDSL2/G.Fast systems and PLT equipment suppliers to monitor and assess the extent of interference in the field. The ACMA will also monitor the development of relevant international standards, including ITU-T Recommendation G.9977.

In the interim, the ACMA is encouraging PLT equipment suppliers and operators of VDSL2/G.Fast systems to advise their customers of the potential impact on broadband system performance associated with the use of in-home PLT devices. The ACMA has published consumer information to assist consumers in understanding the issue and steps they can take to minimise their risks.

Last updated: 13 July 2016