How to report a prohibited device | ACMA

How to report a prohibited device

It is against the law to operate, possess (for the purpose of operation or supply) or supply a PMTS jamming device (a mobile phone jammer) or a RNSS jamming device (such as a GPS jammer).

It is also illegal to operate a mobile phone repeater without the written permission of the mobile phone carrier.

This regulation exists because prohibited devices and illegal mobile phone repeaters have the potential to cause substantial interference to licensed radiocommunications services.

Further information about prohibited devices can be found here. For illegal mobile phone repeaters please refer here.

If you are aware of any illegal activity related to these devices, you can make a report by contacting the ACMA's Customer Service Centre on 1300 850 115 or

You can also make this report in writing to:

               Australian Communications and Media Authority
  Attn: Compliance and Field Operations Section

               PO Box 13112
Law Courts

               Melbourne VIC 8010

In your correspondence, it would be helpful if you answered the following questions:

  • Is the device causing interference?
  • If yes, to which service?
  • What is the location of the device?
  • Can you identify the supplier?
  • What are your contact details?

Last updated: 10 February 2019