Remaking the Telemarketing and Research Industry Standard
Consultation closes: 09 December 2016
Have your say
On 20 March 2017, the ACMA remade the Telecommunications (Telemarketing and Research Calls) Industry Standard 2017.
The ACMA received 12 submissions to this consultation. Eleven of these submissions can be accessed from the right hand side index box (one submission was submitted on a confidential basis).
In accordance with the sunsetting provisions, the standard will be remade by 1 April 2017. The ACMA will use the intervening time to carefully consider the comments and suggestions contained in these submissions before remaking the standard.
Need more information or assistance?
Read our FAQs.
Consultation paper—Proposal to remake the Telemarketing and Research Industry Standard 2007
Attachment 1—Draft Telecommunications (Telemarketing and Research Calls) Industry Standard 2017
Proposal to remake the Telemarketing and Research Industry Standard
The ACMA is consulting on a proposal to remake the Telemarketing and Research Industry Standard 2007 (the standard).
Through a set of minimum requirements the standard aims to:
- provide consumers with certainty about the minimum levels of conduct they can expect from telemarketing and research callers
- reduce the compliance and administrative costs for industry and the ACMA through consistent minimum calling requirements.
The standard will sunset on 1 April 2017 unless it is revoked and remade before this date. The ACMA proposes to revoke and remake the standard with some minor changes.
The changes aim to:
- rationalise and clarify the requirements of the standard
- remove requirements which appear to offer little or no benefit to consumers
- require that some information currently required to be provided immediately on request now be provided at the commencement of a call (depending upon the nature of the call).
Issue for comment
Opportunity to provide feedback
The ACMA is seeking comments from interested persons on the draft standard as outlined in the consultation paper. These documents are available in the table above.