How to become a registered cabler | ACMA

How to become a registered cabler

All cabling work, including telephone, data, fire and security alarm systems cabling, that connects with the telecommunications network must be performed by a registered cabler or under the direct supervision of a registered cabler.

Under the Cabling Provider Rules (CPRs), cablers are required to register with one of the five registrars accredited by the ACMA.

All registered cablers are required to undertake appropriate training modules to ensure that they are competent to perform the cabling work according to the Wiring Rules (Australian Standard AS/CA S009), which ensure safety to consumers, cablers and the network.

More information

  1. Types of cabling work
  2. Training
  3. Cabler registration

Types of cabling work

There are three types of registration defined in the CPRs—open, restricted or lift. If you wish to work in both commercial and domestic premises you will require an Open registration. However, if you only want to work in domestic or small business premises you will only require a restricted registration. If you work in the lift industry you will require a lift registration.

Open cabling work

Any type of cabling work (including aerial, underground, structured, fibre or coaxial cabling work on private or public property) in which the customer cabling that is used terminates at the network boundary on a socket, a network termination device or a distributor.

Examples of distributors:

  1. Building Distributor (formerly known as a Main Distribution Frame)
  2. Campus Distributor.

The full list of open conditions is available in the Telecommunications Cabling Provider Rules 2014.

Restricted cabling work

Restricted cabling work covers cabling work defined wholly in Scenario A or Scenario B below:

Scenario A (typical domestic and small business premises):

  1. Termination is on a socket or network termination device.
  2. Where the electrical supply voltage does not exceed typical domestic single-phase and three-phase electrical supply voltages.
  3. Aerial, underground or broadband cabling work must be on private property.
  4. Aerial cabling must not use electricity distribution poles.

Scenario B (Work behind a compliant device in multi-storey or campus-style premises):

  1. Cabling work behind a compliant device (for example, alarm panel, modem, or customer switching system) where the compliant device is labelled in accordance with the Telecommunications (Labelling Notice for Customer Equipment and Customer Cabling) Instrument 2015.

Restricted work DOES NOT include:

  1. The cabling work between the compliant device and a distributor or a patch panel.
  2. Situations where the reticulated electrical power in the building is at a voltage which exceeds 230 V a.c for single-phase and 415 V a.c for three-phase.
  3. Cabling work that requires sharing cable sheaths with other services.

Examples of cabling work for Scenario B only include:

  1. Cabling work connected behind an alarm panel or modem.
  2. Cabling work connected directly behind a Customer Switching System (but not via a 'jumperable' distributor or frame).
  3. Cabling work for additional phone points (other than the first point) in a commercial, high-rise or multi-storey building, if the service involved is a standard telephone service.

The full list of restricted conditions is available in the Telecommunications Cabling Provider Rules 2014.

Lift cabling work

Lift registrations are for telecommunications cabling in lifts or elevators.

The full set of conditions for all cabling registration types is available in the Telecommunications Cabling Provider Rules 2014.


To become a registered cabler you will need to undertake the requisite training course for the type of cabling registration that you are seeking—open, restricted or lift registration. There are a number of Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) around Australia that can assist you with your training needs.

More information is available from the ACMA brochure Do you want to be a registered cabler? (Word [.docx] 119 kb).

Competency requirements and training options

Once you have decided which registration type you want, undertake the appropriate training that will meet the mandatory competency requirements for registration. The training options for each registration type are outlined in the ACMA publication: ACMA Cabling Provider Rules: Pathways to cabling registration document which is available in Word (409 kb) format.

You should contact one of the RTOs to discuss your specific training needs and any prior experience that may be taken into account.

Assessment in Australia of overseas technical/vocational and trade qualifications

An individual (resident or non-resident) who has overseas technical, vocational or trade qualifications may be eligible for cabling registration in Australia. There are agencies within Australia that can assess overseas qualifications in the technical, vocational and trade areas:

  1. Department of Education and Training 
  2. Trades Recognition Australia.

How to register

All cablers are required to register with an ACMA-accredited registrar.

Each registrar will be able to advise you how to register and the associated charges.

You will be required to demonstrate competency requirements and sign a declaration that you have appropriate cabling experience before being able to register. You must provide evidence to the registrar that you meet the competency requirements. This evidence can be in the form of either:

  • certificate(s) from a Registered Training Organisation showing that you have attained the relevant competency
  • a certificate of Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) issued by an RTO.

Option 2 is suitable for experienced cablers who have either worked in a related cabling industry (for example, electrical) or have previously performed telecommunications cabling, but do not hold a current Australian cabling registration.

Download our handy factsheet, Customer cabling—Do you know the rules? (PDF 420 KB)

Last updated: 22 January 2019