Radio licensing & interference FAQ | ACMA

Radio licensing & interference FAQ

These radio licensing and interference FAQ give information to consumers and hobbyists experiencing problems. Do I need a licence for the Citizen Band radio service?

Individual licences are not required for Citizens Band Radio Service (CBRS). Use is governed by the Citizen Band Radio Stations Class Licence.

Citizen Band Repeater Stations need a licence for frequency coordination purposes.

How can I get a copy of the regulations for Citizen Band radio service?

The Citizen Band Radio Stations Class Licence contains conditions applicable to users of the Citizen Band Radio Service. It is available from:

Do I need a licence for a radio transmitter? If so, how much will it cost?

A licence is required for most radio transmitters.

For more information see:


What application form should I use to obtain a licence?

Common application forms are:

  • R057 (Application for Apparatus Licence)

  • R077 (Additional Station Information)

  • R060 (Application for Transfer of Apparatus Licence)


They are available online or from ACMA offices:

When is my renewal sent out and how can it be paid?

Renewals are normally sent out 6 to 8 weeks prior to the expiry date of the licence. It is the licensee's responsibility to ensure licences are renewed on or before the expiry date of the licence to prevent additional charges.

If a renewal request is not received by 60 days after the expiry of the old licence, the frequency assignment and call sign become available for assignment to other services. If renewal is applied for after the 60 day period then new issue charges will apply.

How does the ACMA help with television or radio interference?

The ACMA publishes brochures and may offer technical advice, by telephone, to people who have applied for and received these brochures. Information on the digital TV switchover is also available.


How can I make a complaint of television or radio interference?

Correction of the problem is usually within the control of the complainant and the ACMA provides information on diagnosing their television/radio reception difficulties.

The ACMA may investigate television/radio interference problems.

What is the procedure for resolving interference to my telephone?

Complaints about interference to a telephone supplied by a service provider should be directed to your service provider (for example, Telstra or Optus).

Complaints about interference to a telephone recently purchased should be directed to the telephone manufacturer or the place of purchase.

How do I get an amateur licence?

Persons wishing to become amateur radio operators are required to pass certain examinations before a licence will be issued.

  • Amateur Licence Information Paper .



How do I get a copy of the CD-ROM?

A fee is charged for the Radiocommunications Record of Licences (RRL) CD-ROM, for costs please call (02) 6219 5574.

The following forms should be filled out:

Do you sell frequency charts and how much do they cost?

The list is available on the ACMA website.

A copy of the Australian Radiofrequency Spectrum Plan can also be purchased from the ACMA, for costs please call 1300 850 115.

Where can I get a list of television and radio stations and their frequencies?

The list (updated quarterly) is available on the ACMA website.

The list (published annually) is also available from Australian Government Bookshops.

Last updated: 13 February 2019