Renters, new-home buyers & developers | ACMA

Renters, new-home buyers & developers

Rental properties

If you rent, you’ll need approval from your landlord to have NBN equipment installed. You should discuss connection to the NBN with your landlord (or property manager), as well as your preferred telco.

If you live in an apartment or multi-dwelling premises, NBN Co will advise the building owners, body corporate or authorised representatives of your building when the rollout is about to commence in your street.

If you have questions about your rights as a tenant, you should contact a tenants’ advice service or union. Your rights may vary in different states and territories.

For apartment blocks, unit blocks, retail complexes, commercial, industrial, government and high-rise buildings, NBN Co needs to engage with the body corporate or the building owner (depending on building type) to connect these properties to the NBN. These types of buildings also require more extensive internal cabling. Building owners, strata managers and body corporates should visit NBN Co here for more information and to register their contact details.

New-home buyers

If you don't check what telco infrastructure is being installed, you could be without internet or phone services for longer than expected and you may not be able to access the services you need. You may also face extra installation costs. So before you sign the contract for your new home, remember to ask the vendor or agent what telco services will be provided, who is providing them and when they will be available.

If you are building your own home, NBN Co recommends that you apply to access the NBN once you have obtained your planning permits and have hired your builder, and that you make your application at least six months before your required service date. For further information, please visit the NBN Co website.

The Department of Communications and the Arts (DoCA) has also produced a guide for new home owners that provides information about what to do to make sure you have access to modern internet and phone services.


If you are a developer, you are responsible for providing telco infrastructure in your developments. The Australian Government’s Telecommunications Infrastructure in New Developments Policy and accompanying guidance for industry outlines how telecommunications will be delivered in new developments. Visit DoCA’s new developments webpage for more information.

You can choose any carrier you want to service your development. If you don't wish to choose a carrier, NBN Co is the infrastructure provider of last resort in larger developments (100 lots or more) and Telstra is the infrastructure provider of last resort in smaller developments (less than 100 lots).

The main regulatory requirements for developers and builders are contained in Part 20A of the Telecommunications Act 1997 and include penalties for constitutional corporations, such as developers, that sell or lease new developments without fibre-ready passive infrastructure.

Exemptions from the requirements under Part 20A are available for certain types of developments in rural and remote areas. For more information, click here.

Local government (particularly in Victoria) may also have requirements regarding installation of telecommunications in new developments, either as planning policies or as conditions of approval. Enquiries should be made with the local government authority.

Last updated: 04 July 2019