Phone & alarm cabling | ACMA

Phone & alarm cabling

A registered cabler can install or repair all communications cabling in your home or office and you’re free to choose the cabler you want. Registered cablers can be found in the Yellow Pages® directory.

Look in the Fast-Find index under:

  • Telephones & Systems – Installation &/or Maintenance

  • Computer equipment – Installation & Networking

  • Security Systems &/or Consultants

  • Fire Protection Equipment & Consultants or

  • Electrical Contractors.

When choosing a cabler, you must ask to see proof of registration. If registered, they will have a telecommunications cabling registration card.

The Australian Registered Cablers website also provides a list of registered cablers by State and Territory.

Communications cabling work must be done by a registered cabler

Are you building?

If you are building a house, a registered cabler can do all the communications cabling. You then need to call your chosen phone company to request connection to its network.

Are you renovating?

If you’re renovating a home or office, a registered cabler can rewire the communications cabling and add extra phone sockets.

If you want an additional phone line with a new number, your registered cabler can install all the cabling and sockets for you. You then need to call your chosen phone company to request connection to its network.

Monitored alarms

Are you installing a monitored security or fire alarm? Monitored alarms connect to the telecommunications network and a registered cabler is required to install them.

Data cabling

A registered cabler must install data cabling for computer networks that connect to the telecommunications network.

Job completion form

Your registered cabler must provide you with a signed form at the end of the job that states that the work meets all the relevant standards. This is sometimes incorporated into your cabler’s invoice.

Registration card

You can check your cabler is registered by asking to see the registration card. The registration card will tell you which register your cabler is listed on.

You can verify your cabler is registered by checking the registers on the websites of registrars accredited by the Australian Communications and Media Authority (the ACMA).

A registered cabler must follow rules set out by the ACMA. The rules make sure the cabling is done safely and that the cabler has the skills to do the job.

Cabling installed incorrectly can result in your phones, faxes and internet or alarm systems not working properly. Faulty cabling can also increase the risk of safety hazards such as electrocution.

Last updated: 08 February 2019