All about portability - keeping your number
You can change mobile service providers and still keep your same number.
You have the freedom to shop around for a mobile service provider that better meets your needs without the hassle of having to change phone numbers.
Once you have found a new provider they will handle all the paper work for you and let your existing provider know.
In most cases you will be able to change companies and have your mobile phone ringing again under an hour.
Key points remember about keeping your number:
- you only keep your number – not any services you may have had
- you have to be the owner of the account
- you may still need to honour an existing contract
- you may have to pay an early termination fee on your existing contract
- don’t cancel your existing contract before changing providers
- You’re still liable for outstanding debts with your previous provider
- make sure your existing handset is compatible with the new provider
- your mobile phone may be SIM-locked
In this section
Last updated: 22 July 2016