If you run a business and plan to email current or prospective clients or customers, you need to know about the Spam Act and your requirements under Australian law.
This section provides practical advice on:
- key elements of the Spam Act - consent, identify and unsubscribe
- using purchased address lists
- inferred consent and conspicuous publication
- engaging a third party to send your emails
- marketing activities
- notifying customers if a business changes hands
- further information and useful links
Electronic messages from certain sources are exempted from the Spam Act. These include messages from:
- government bodies
- registered political parties
- religious organisations
- educational institutions (sent to current and former students and their households).
For more information, visit How the Spam Act works.