Changes to Children's TV classification application requirements
On 14 February 2011 the ACMA introduced changes to the application requirements for all categories of C and P classification. These changes were in line with recommendations made by stakeholders at the inaugural Children’s Television Classification Forum and sought to simplify the application process for program makers and broadcasters while ensuring that the ACMA receives sufficient information on which to base its classification decisions.
Following the implementation of these changes, the ACMA further reviewed the application requirements for children’s program classification and these changes came into effect on 21 November 2011. Documents detailing additional changes can be found below.
The following information provides an explanation about the ACMA's procedures for the classification of C and P programs under the Children's Television Standards. Any applicant seeking a C or P classification for a drama or non-drama program must apply to the ACMA. Decisions about the classification of programs as C or P programs are made by the ACMA, an ACMA Member, or a delegated senior officer of the ACMA.
The ACMA has issued the following series of guidelines on the assessment process:
- Application requirements (Download PDF | Download Word [.docx 797 kb])
- Assessment procedures (Download PDF | Download Word)
- Criteria for a Children's program (Download PDF | Download Word)
- Table 1 Application requirements for a new program (Download PDF | Download Word [.docx 122 kb])
- Table 2 Application requirements subsequent series (Download PDF | Download Word [.docx 123 kb])
- Table 3 Application requirements renewals (Download PDF | Download Word)
- Application for C and P Program Classification (Form ACMA B13, available on the broadcasting forms page)