Each year, on behalf of the Commonwealth Government, the ACMA collects a set amount of revenue from carriage service providers (phone companies) that hold telephone numbers. The revenue is know as annual numbering charge (ANC).
The ANC revenue target is set by the Government in the Federal Budget, which set a $60 million target for 2013. CSPs are charged for the numbers they hold on the census date determined by the ACMA in April each year. The next census date is 7 April 2013.
Information for CSPs
Numbers which attract ANC include:
- Digital mobile (04xx xxx xxx)
- Freephone (1800 xxx xxx)
- Local rate (13 xx xx & 1300 xxx xxx)
- Premium rate (19 xx xx, 19xx xxxx & 19xx xxx xxx)
Numbers which are exempt from ANC include:
- Community service
- Geographical (local service)
The ACMA bills phone companies directly around April each year. For example the annual charge the ACMA bills a phone company for a 13 XXXX (6 digit) number is ~$7,000 per year. Depending on the type of number the phone company may pass this amount on to customers annually, monthly or other.
Phone companies should be approached to discuss how they may charge you.
The legislative basis for ANC
The ANC process is set out in the Telecommunications Act 1997 and the Telecommunications (Numbering Charges) Act 1997. To implement this process the ACMA has made four determinations, which establish key ANC process parameters, such as the charging formula.
The four determinations for the ANC process are:
- the Imposition of Annual Charge - Date Determination, which sets the date charges are imposed (the census date);
- the Telecommunications (Due Date for Annual Charge) Determination 1999, which sets the due date for ANC payment;
- the Telecommunications (Annual Numbering Charge - Late Payment Penalty) Determination 2000, which sets out rules for the imposition and remission of late payment penalties; and
- the Telecommunications (Annual Charge) Determination 2007 (No. 2) which sets the formula used to ascertain the amounts of annual charge and the numbers exempt from the ANC (this determination does not set out the actual amounts to be charged).
Enquiries may be directed to email@example.com or the Telecommunications Licensing, Numbering & Submarine Cables Section at the ACMA on (03) 9963 6800.