Industry body responsible
The Communications Alliance Ltd (formerly ACIF)
Section of industry to which code relates
This industry code applies to:
- carriage service providers
- public number directory publishers.
In terms of this code, the application is to data providers, data users and the IPND Manager, who are considered to be either carriage service providers or public number directory publishers.
Date of registration
25 March 2008.
This issue of the code replaces the Industry Code Integrated Public Number Database (IPND) (ACIF C555: 2007).
Objectives of the code
This industry code sets out rights and obligations of data providers, data users and the IPND Manager regarding the access, input, use, disclosure and storage of public number customer data in the IPND.
The objectives of the industry code are to ensure that:
- data providers capture and record details of the customer's choice of listed or unlisted entry, or where offered, suppressed address entry:
- data providers take reasonable steps to provide customers with sufficient information about the use of public number customer data;
- the rights and obligations of participants regarding their input, use, disclosure and storage of public number customer data in the IPND are clear;
- agreed uniform procedures and formats are followed when public number customer data is transferred to the IPND by data providers;
- agreed uniform procedures and formats are followed when public number customer data is transferred from the IPND Manager to data users;
- IPND procedures treat data providers on an equitable basis;
- IPND procedures treat data users in the same approved purpose category on an equitable basis;
- IPND procedures do not detract from customers' reasonable rights with regard privacy of personal information;
- procedures and processes maximise data accuracy and efficiency through the cooperation of all participants; and
- the integrity and confidentiality of the public number customer data that is input to, stored in, used and disclosed from the IPND is adequately protected.
Accessing the code